Deep customization options are some of the many perks of owning and using an Android phone. Of course, having these options means little if you have no idea how to use them. Besides, different versions of Android and manufacturers make the whole thing quite a bit more complicated. That’s why we’ve written this guide.
Changing Android app icons is quite possible no matter your phone’s specs. However, different manufacturers and OS versions might make the process easier or harder to do. No worries, though – we’ll walk you through the process either way.
If you are using a Samsung smartphone with Android OS on it, the fastest way to change the icons is to download icon packs. This is the first thing you should try. Note: this might not work on all Android phones depending on the manufacturer. Don’t worry if it doesn’t – there are ways to circumvent it.
For now, try these simple steps to change the look of Android app icons on your Samsung smartphone:
- Swipe down and tap on Settings.
- Go to Themes.
- At the bottom of the screen, go to the Icons section.
- Choose the icon packs you like the most and tap the ‘Download’ button. Wait a little bit, and tap on ‘Apply.’
- Notice how your icons changed. If you don’t like the current looks of the icons, just repeat these steps until you find the ones that look the best for you.
- If you still can’t find the right icon pack, try looking up icon packs on the app store. There are thousands to choose from!
Most notably, this is a surefire way to change app icons on Samsung phones. Other manufacturers may also allow for it – try doing it on your phone.
For some phones – notably Xiaomi and some Huawei devices – the look of the icons is tied directly to the theme your phone is using. It has both upsides and downsides.
For Xiaomi users, just like I am, you can change your Android appearance and icons by changing the theme with a few simple steps:
- Go to your home screen, tap, and hold in the middle of it. This will open options that allow you to change the wallpaper, add new widgets, or open settings. Tap on Wallpaper.
- Go to Themes.
- Search the theme that you like the most, and tap on it. Since I am a Mortal Kombat fan, I will choose the one with the Sub Zero. This one is free, as said below it, but there are also the ones that can cost you real money, so pay attention to it.
- Tap the green download button with a ‘FREE’ text on it, and wait for the download to finish. Tap ‘APPLY’ to use the theme.
- It looks cool, doesn’t it? You have a new wallpaper, lock screen, and your icons look different. If you don’t like it or you want to try other themes repeat the same steps.
On the one hand, changing your theme on Android is quick and easy. This means you can easily change all of your icons, wallpaper, lock screen, and widgets with a few taps. Changing your app icons by using the icon pack will not change your wallpaper or lock screen.
However, this also means you can’t pick and choose different icon styles for different apps. Sure, most people like all of their icons to follow the same theme anyway. But having the extra option to mix and match is still valid.
Changing the appearance of your smartphone with icons and themes is an easy way to break the monotony of using the default style. Your phone is suddenly looking more original and tailored just for your needs. Changing icons on your Android device can be done with just a few steps just as we explained above.
One of the things that can make changing the appearance a little bit complicated is that every manufacturer has its way of doing it. For most Android smartphones, the best and safest way to change icons is by downloading the icon packs or changing the theme.
We hope that in the future, there will be some other ways to modify your smartphone’s appearance as you want. If there is a way to do that, we will find it. Stay tuned, and check out our helpful articles on our website.