Whether you are a group admin on WhatsApp or a participant, you sometimes want to either leave or entirely delete a chat group. In such cases, you might be wondering how to delete WhatsApp Group. Essentially, there are only a few steps involved and everything can be done straight from the chat section. Let us see take you through this simple process.
Table of Contents:
For those curious about how to delete WhatsApp Groups, there are two ways to do it. One is if you are a participant in the group and the other is if you are an admin. If you are a participant, removing a group from your WhatsApp chats is the same as leaving it. Here is how to do it using two similar methods:
- Open your WhatsApp and go to the Chats section.
- Find the group you wish to delete and tap on it.
- From the group chat, select the three vertical dots in the upper right corner.
- Tap on More from the following list and choose the Exit Group option.
- From the Chats section, tap and hold the chat you wish to delete.
- Some new options will show up on the top where you need to select the three vertical dots.
- Choose the Exit Group option.
You will then leave the group and it will be deleted from your WhatsApp chats permanently. Overall, removing a group from WhatsApp Chats is similar to blocking contacts on WhatsApp. However, remember that you cannot rejoin the group unless you are invited again.
On the other hand, if you are an admin and you want to remove all members from the group and then delete it, the process is slightly different. If you are not the only admin of the group make sure the other admins approve of deleting the group, otherwise you can simply leave using the previous method.
While deleting a group as an admin takes a few extra steps, this method will completely delete the group for every person in it. Here is how to do it.
- Open the group chat you want to delete from the WhatsApp Chats section.
- Tap on the group name at the top.
- In the new menu, slide your screen down until you see all the participants.
- To delete a group completely you will first need to remove all participants by selecting them and tapping Remove Anny.
- Once all members have been removed go back to the Chats section using the arrows in the top left.
- You will now need to exit the group yourself by tapping and holding the group.
- Then select the three vertical dots in the top right and select Exit group.
- Finally, tap on the group and hold once more, select the delete icon on the top and confirm your choice.
This is the most effective way to delete a WhatsApp Group as it will completely remove it and all its members.
In some lesser cases, you might just want to stop getting notifications from a group instead of outright leaving or removing it. This is where you can use the mute WhatsApp group feature. It will make it so you stop receving notifications and messages from a group, but you will still remain a member.
- To mute a group open it from the WhatsApp Chats section.
- Tap on the three vertical dots in the top right.
- Select the Mute notifications option and confirm.
Not only will this mute the group for you but other members will not be able to tell that you have done so.
We hope this guide on how to delete a WhatsApp group has helped you in some way. Remember that you cannot delete a group if you are not an admin, but you can leave it and it will be removed from your Chats. If you are an admin, the only way to truly delete a group is to remove all members first as we showed you. As we mentioned, if you are not the only admin, just make sure to check with the other admins first before deleting the group.